THE DIRTY BUSINESS OF CHILD TRAFFICKING SERIES
What is one of the fastest growing crimes in the world? What brings in $12 billion a year to the dirty people behind it? The answer is child trafficking.
For the next 6 weeks, this blog will bring light to this dirty business, and hopefully raise the awareness to help us put a stop to it. Here are a few statistics from UNICEF and The Stop Child Trafficking Now Organization. The numbers are staggering.
- There are an estimated 1.2 million children who are victims of child trafficking
- Within 48 hours of a child running away from home, one-third are lured or recruited into the world of pornography and prostitution.
- The average age of a sex trade victim is 12 years of age
- Women and girls make up 80 percent of the victims
- 50 percent of all victims are minors
- 300,000 children according to the US department of Justice are at risk each year for commercial sexual exploitation.
- 600,000 to 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders every year, and 50 percent are children