Kids: Have you read "After" by Barbara Ehrentreu? Why not?

After is a story about how one phone call can change your life. 

Fifteen-year-old, Lauren Walstein is like every other teenager. She goes to school, spends time with her best friend since kindergarten, Joey, loves the Mets, and is working toward a softball scholarship. Then she gets the phone call that changes her life!


Her father has a sudden heat attack and undergoes bypass surgery. Now, her father's illness impacts everything around her. Plus, her best friend is dating her worst enemy, Amber. To make matters worse, Lauren is beginning to have feelings for Joey that are more than friendly. Is he feeling the same, or is he there just to comfort her? Will she lose her father? Will Joey see he is becoming more than a friend? 

You need to read this book! 

It's available at all ebook retailers including:




If you're not convinced yet, here is an excerpt the author wanted to share.

Chapter One

The phone rang as the ball left the pitcher’s glove and I glanced toward the sound. Mom’s tears made me forget all about the game. My life changed while the TV blurred and turned into a nightmare kaleidoscope. That moment has been indelibly pressed into my thoughts.

My sister, Diane, was upstairs hunched over her computer as usual. She’s not a baseball fan at all. But I lived and breathed for the Mets that fall. They had such a great chance of getting the pennant and maybe even winning the World Series. I obsessed about the Mets, and of course, Joey.

Joey, my best friend from kindergarten, was always there for me. It’s hard to imagine a recess without him by my side. He’s bigger than I am and always looked a little older than he was. Mom liked Joey because he reassured her he would obey her rules. Maybe it was his easy smile or his clear, gray eyes.

Lately, though, Joey and I haven’t been so close. It happened during the summer when he was a counselor at this camp and he hooked up with this girl, Amber, who goes to our school. So now he spends a lot of his time with her and we barely see each other. 

We used to watch the Mets together all the time, too. So I missed him being there with me, and his comments about the players. But all that was before the phone call. Pre-phone call my deepest thoughts centered on the Mets and finding the sweet spot for the ball in my new baseball glove. Pre-phone call, my world was worrying about homework getting done and wondering what lunch would be like on Monday. Oh, and of course, thinking about how to beat the next team we were up against in softball. I’m a starting pitcher this year and I want to show my coach she can believe in me. I’m only a sophomore, but I hope someday to play college softball. I need to get a scholarship in order to go. My parents have already told me they can’t swing it without one.

After the phone call my life was a ball of twisted emotions and all I could think about was Dad, and how Mom, Diane, and I would get through this night. 

Meet the Author:


Barbara Ehrentreu grew up in Brooklyn and moved to Queens. She has lived and taught in Long Island, Buffalo, NY and Westchester, NY as well as a year in Los Angeles, CA. She has a Masters Degree in Reading and Writing. Currently she is retired from teaching and living in Stamford, CT with her family. 


After, her second book, considers what can happen to a teen when her father becomes ill with a heart attack. It is based on her own experiences when her husband had a heart attack and the aftermath of what she and her family experienced. 


Barbara's first book, If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor, won second prize in Preditors & Editors as Best Young Adult Book for 2011. It was inspired by Paula Danziger for her children's writing workshop at Manhattanville College.She is preparing the sequel to If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor. 


Barbara also writes poetry and several of her poems are published in the anthologies, Prompted: An International Collection of Poetry, Beyond the Dark Room, Storm Cycle and Backlit Barbell. She has a blog, Barbara's Meanderings, and she hosts a radio show on Blog Talk Radio, Red River Radio Tales from the Pages once a month.

Barbara's blog

Popular posts from this blog

You Have a Right to an Education, So Use It!

Kids: If you love dinosaurs, you will love "Dinosaur Toby:Finding Mommy"

Kids: Say No to Racism!