My Children's Book Month Feature: The Majestic Cave by Kelly Hashway

Kelly Hashway's new middle grade novel, Mystery of the Majestic Cave, is out in time to make summer reading fun! It is the continuing adventure of three kids who are trying to bring an end to the Curse of the Granville Fortune (her first book in this series). Want to know more? Look below.


Thirteen-year-old J.B. thought being cursed was bad, but finding out his first crush is going to be eaten by an octopus is more than he can handle. It’s been two months since J.B. met Noelle and Edward and discovered they were the three—receivers of the sight, or more importantly the ones who have to break the curse that’s plagued their families for hundreds of years.


This time their search for the Granville fortune leads them to a place called Majestic Cave. The cave is by the sea, and J.B. knows going near it will put Noelle’s life in danger. With no other choice, the three follow the clues. But as usual, they aren’t the only ones searching for the fortune. The evil Grimaults also know about the cave, and they’ll stop at nothing to get their hands on more of the Granville treasure.

History won’t be the only thing uncovered on this journey—and it might not be the only thing buried either. 


Here's an excerpt to enjoy.


Finding out I was cursed was one thing. Finding out one of the two people who was supposed to help me break the curse was going to be eaten by a giant octopus was another.


The octopus wrapped its tentacles around Noelle’s chest, locking her arms down at her sides and making it impossible for her to fight back. She screamed and bubbles filled the water. Her eyes widened as the octopus squeezed her tighter, pulling her closer to its beak. I watched helplessly—locked inside the vision, feeling Noelle’s fear.


Sweat poured down my forehead, and my arms trembled as I yanked my hands from Edward’s and Noelle’s shoulders. The force of ending the vision shook me so hard I fell backward, gasping for air. The grass was cold against my skin. The heat of the summer was nothing compared to the heat of the vision. I was still panting when I opened my eyes. Noelle was slumped on the merry-go-round crying. Her brown hair stuck to her wet cheeks. Before I could go to her, Edward was at her side. He put one arm around her and said, “We’ll stop it. It won’t happen.” He looked at me like it was my fault. Okay, yeah it was my vision. I was the one who saw the future. But I couldn’t control the visions I had any more than he could.


I got to my feet and brushed the dirt off my legs. “Noelle, I’m so sorry. I tried to break the connection as soon as I could.”


“It’s not your fault, J.B.” She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and looked up at me. “Sebastien, Jean, and Aristede did this to us.” Her voice shook. “They cursed us, and now I’m going to…die because of it.”


“No you’re not!” Edward and I said. Neither one of us was going to let that happen.


The curse started over two hundred years ago when Sebastien Granville, Noelle’s ancestor, and his two friends stole the Granville family’s fortune. Those friends were Edward’s ancestor, Aristede Grimault, and my ancestor, Jean Beaumonte. When they were caught by Sebastien’s grandmother, she cursed them, dooming all their descendents to suffer from their greatest fears. Part of the curse was the gift of sight that she passed down to Edward, Noelle, and me. 


“We’ll never figure this out,” Noelle said. “The visions don’t make any sense.”


Edward plopped down on the grass and started ripping it out by the handfuls. He wasn’t big on pep talks. Neither was I. The past two months hadn’t exactly been easy. Sneaking around behind my parents’ backs was difficult enough, but getting past my sister, Holly, had been almost impossible. Edward had been camping out in my shed since his heartless brother Garret and his lowlife cousin Trent took off to find Edward’s dad, Morgan—who had run off with the only part of the fortune we’d found so far. Some family. I didn’t completely trust Edward, but I couldn’t turn my back on him either. The three of us had to stick together and make sense of these visions. They were our only clues to finding the missing pieces of the Granville fortune and breaking the curse. We knew what would happen if we didn’t. We’d die—all of us.


We weren’t any closer to breaking the curse. Somehow it had actually gotten worse since Noelle, Edward, and I had gotten together. Or maybe it was because Morgan Grimault got away with the fortune. Either way, it was bad. The visions were even more painful now when we had them alone. It must have been the curse’s way of forcing us to stay together and find the fortune, because it was torture being apart.
“The visions are supposed to help us,” I said.


“All we’ve seen is my dad staring at the fortune he took off with,” Edward said. “How does that help? Seeing things as they’re happening isn’t helping.”


Noelle stood up, and I thought she was going to mention the vision of the future I just gave us all. Instead, she turned to Edward. “We need to see the past to find out where Sebastien and Jean hid their parts of the fortune.”


Edward looked to me for help. “We’ve never been able to make ourselves have a vision,” I said.


Noelle whipped her head around. “That’s not true. The first vision we ever had was forced.” She pointed to the ground. “We were standing right here, and we made it happen.”


I shook my head. “No, we didn’t. That vision had been trying to show itself to us since the moment we met. We held it off until we decided to work together.”


“Fine, then let’s decide to work together now and have a vision that actually helps!” Noelle clenched her fists at her sides. She was totally freaked out, and I couldn’t blame her.  


Ready to grab your copy? You can find one at Amazon and Barnes and Noble


Meet one of my favorite children's authors: Kelly Hashway


Kelly Hashway fully admits to being one of the most accident-prone people on the planet, but that didn’t stop her from jumping out of an airplane at ten thousand feet one Halloween. Maybe it was growing up reading R.L. Stine’s Fear Street books that instilled a love of all things scary and a desire to live in a world filled with supernatural creatures, but she spends her days writing speculative fiction. Kelly’s also a sucker for first love, which is why she writes romance under the pen name Ashelyn Drake. When she’s not writing, Kelly works as an editor and also as Mom, which she believes is a job title that deserves to be capitalized. She is represented by Sarah Negovetich of Corvisiero Literary Agency. 

You can learn more about Kelly on her website or check her out on Goodreads

My Review:

When I finished reading Kelly's first book, Curse of the Granville Fortune, I wanted the journey of J.B., Noelle, and Edward to continue. I knew there was another adventure waiting for these three, and The Majestic Cave is everything I was hoping it would be. Drawn together by the curse, the three kids face a new danger in an ocean cave where a voiced imagination can become a reality. No spoilers here, but believe me "Thar are sea monsters below!" If you like action, excitement, and a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat, you will love this book. It is a must for your summer reading list.

 


Popular posts from this blog

You Have a Right to an Education, So Use It!

Kids: If you love dinosaurs, you will love "Dinosaur Toby:Finding Mommy"

Kids: Say No to Racism!